Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 30 Update

AMEN!!!!!

Today wasn’t a good day, it was a GREAT DAY! With his sedation turned off, Keith has been able to open his eyes and is off the sedation. Jenny had been frustrated that Keith would open his eyes for his mom and medical personnel, but not Jenny. WELL today, his eyes were open and appeared that he was trying to talk. Remember, he still has a trach with a ventilator in place. Jenny asked Keith for a besito (kiss in Spanish) and he puckered up his lips. Jenny gave him a kiss and then he tried to smile. IN the text from Andrea explaining this occurrence, Andrea texted: GOD IS GOOD!

The progress is incredible in Keith. Tonight I went into his room and called out his name. Keith opened his eyes and turned in my direction and looked at me. One leg was off the bed has he had just previously tried to get out of bed. I asked him to move his fingers and he did. I asked him to squeeze his hand and he did. It was GREAT to see Keith with his eyes open. I hadn’t seen his eyes opened since the day of the accident, Friday the 17th. It was tough to not get a tear in my eye over the joy of seeing Keith respond. I talked with him quite a bit and explained that he hit his head, had some bleeding, and that he had been sedated but is recovering well. I told him that he is recovering nicely and the doctors are encouraged by his progress. I imagined myself lying there, unable to speak and waking up (especially as a medical professional) wondering “what is going on and why am I here?” Keith’s mom, his brothers and Jenny have all been telling him what is going on. It is important to remind him that he has taken HUGE steps in his recovery. I know he wants out of that bed, but I also know that there is a long recovery period as well. But today was GREAT! GOD IS GOOD!

Continue to pray for Keith. He won’t likely be transferred for another week or so. Since he is recovering nicely, they may be moving him out of ICU soon.

5 comments:

  1. THIS IS AWESOME NEWS! Glad to hear Keith is improving each and every day! What awesome friends and co-workers Keith has. Hard to find good employers these days!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupendous leaps & bounds! Our family will be tossing up some prayer for transfer to a good facility close to home.
    And dittos to the prior comment about awesome friends & co-workers. Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRAISE THE LORD!! Keith My family my pastor and Ann and I all have you in are prayers may God bless You and your love ones

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say what an awesome family Keith has also! When something like this happens it pulls the whole family together and the strength pulls together to bring Keith through! Keep the prayers and the wishes coming!

    Wishing the MacClellan family much more improvement with the coming days!

    Old Arroyo Classmate - CLASS OF 91

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got tears in my eyes just reading this!!! WOW Keith keep it up!!1 nad Jenny You are amazing!! I bet it was the best kiss you ever had I got chills when I read that part..

    We Love you from Texas,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete